Friday, December 30, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie


I love having the day off from work (thanks New Year's Eve!) but I hate the feeling that comes with it.  I can't ever just relax.  I feel guilty so I feel like I have to be super productive to make up for not being at work. 

Today, though, the house is mostly clean (thanks to my wonderful husband picking up yesterday), the laundry basket isn't so full that we don't have any clean clothes, and I scrubbed the kitchen counters clean yesterday.  Christmas decorations still need to be put away but they can wait! 

So, I decided some baking was in order.  I have been searching for a great peanut butter pie recipe and I think I found a contender.  It's creamy and peanut butter-y and tastes just like the pie from one of my favorite Huntsville restaurants.

I used a different crust for this pie than what the recipe calls for.  I didn't have any Oreos and even if I did, I probably would have used graham crackers anyway.  You can't say no to a graham cracker crust.  The recipe below is updated with my changes.


Peanut Butter Pie
Adapted from: Martha Stewart

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 1 sleeve plus 2 crackers)
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups smooth peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate, melted, for decorating

Directions

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine graham cracker crumbs, and melted butter.  Press mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Bake until set, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
 
Make the filling: Beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy.  Beat in peanut butter and vanilla.
 
Beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Whisk 1/3rd of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture, then gently fold in remaining whipped cream. Spoon filling into cooled crust. Freeze, uncovered, at least 4 hours (or overnight, covered with plastic wrap).
 
Place melted chocolate in a resealable plastic bag. Snip tip from one corner of bag to make a very small opening. Holding bag about 5 inches above pie, drizzle melted chocolate over top. 

 
Serve cold and refrigerate leftovers.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment